Saturday, August 22, 2015

Accidental Tourist - 2015 - Singapore Art Museum - 'After Utopia' exhibition

Singapore Art Museum - 'After Utopia' exhibition till 18 Oct 2015

I am not an art person least of all, avant garde art. Not cultured enough I think but I saw some interesting exhibits at the Singapore Art Museum when I wandered onto the 'After Utopia' exhibition by chance. 

What caught my eye for the 'After Utopia' exhibition was the exhibit by Svay Sareth for which he videoed himself walking from his home in Siem Reap to Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh, dragging a 8kg sphere. When I first saw the video, the first thing that came to my mind was "Boh liao (Singlish for no sense) video of man dragging a silver ball." But as I stood there watching the video, which has no accompanying music or narration, I was somehow drawn to it. Only after reading the explanation did I realize that the artist was doing this to come to terms with a painful past. I like the exhibit for making me want to find out more about the art piece. 

The next exhibit is done by Thai artist, Kamin Lertchaiprasert called Sitting. This installation consists of 366 papier mâché figures seated in meditative style, their number representing the days in a leap year. Kamin Lertchaiprasert’s works are interesting as each artwork is unique. 

Here are a collection of my photos taken at the 'After Utopia' Exhibition

Till the next time, onto the world and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment